Saturday, July 10, 2010

Dances with Kiln

After e-mailing Lesli, and reading her awesome post this morning about the exact problems I've encountered, I just had to post. First, her most recent blog if you want to read it (warning, you can get sucked into her blog for hours...days...) is Blackberry Lane, over to the right in the links.

Now, here's how I started writing to her. Check these bad boys out....
IMG_1803 IMG_1804 IMG_1805
You can imagine my surprise when I opened my kiln, and instead of seeing two neat experiments, I got this mess. I didn't realize my glaze would have such an angry reaction with the masking (which Lesli was talking about in her blog). Basically, you see all those little dots all through the pattern? That's a big glob of glaze, sticking off the body. What a mess! And, to get it off (because I did get some off) you literally have to break the bisque. This is why I try out new stuff on my burro's, for speedbumps like this..
It's not really fixable, tho I was tempted to finish and glaze one just to see what happens lol.

On to some fun stuff. I'm hoping these guys will be done in time. The arab is the sorrel from previous posts, however, he had some weirdness that I didn't like, so he went black and white. I think he'll be sharper this way :) Concepts are hard to cover, I expect he'll be fired 4-5 more times before he's BLACK.
The other three are Animal Artistry, and have the BEST detail. Seriously, I was blown away how nice these guys are. I love the Cob (large grey appaloosa). He's going to have a black m/t, and black spots added. I haven't decided what I'm doing with him yet, but the other two will probably be for sale to fund more bisque.

IMG_1808 IMG_1809

This is the Lakeshore that I was working on. I masked off a big blanket, and airbrushed him black. While he turned out pretty much just like I had planned...his markings that WERE white (his two pinto marks and his face marking) turned a weird yellow color. So, I learned not to use pre-exisisting marked models, good tip for BEFORE Breyerfest lol. I'll be making his blanket quite a bit smaller to get around those pesky markings. I am, however, quite pleased with his leg markings, which I etched.

IMG_1810 IMG_1811 IMG_1812

Til next time!! Breyerfest is right around the corner, are YOU ready!?

No comments:

Post a Comment